Who can organise a Walk For?
I don't have a missing loved one, can I still organise a Walk For?
The Walk For initiative was designed especially for friends and families with missing loved ones. When someone goes missing, it can be a rollercoaster of emotions. Organising a Walk For is a great way to bring friends and family together to do something fun and meaningful.
If you don’t have a missing loved one but still want to get involved; you can take part in a challenge event or organise your own fundraiser HERE.
What are the benefits?
1. Raising awareness of your missing appeal
You can use your Walk For event help by:
- Contacting local TV and radio stations asking them to cover the story (we will help)
- Distributing your missing appeal posters along your route
- Inviting your local community to join the walk by sticking up posters and/or social media
2. Helping Missing People support more families
Missing People is the only charity providing specialist support for the thousands of people affected each year by a disappearance. As a charity, we are completely reliant on donations to keep our services free and available for everyone who needs us 24/7. By raising funds through your walk, you help us provide emotional and practical support for even more families across the UK.
Planning your walk
How far in advance should I plan my walk?
This will depend on what your ambitions are for the walk; how many people will you invite? How far will you walk? If your walk is quite long, you may consider leaving enough time to train so you are feeling physically ready. We would recommend giving yourself at least one month publicise your walk and ask for donations.
How many people can join my walk?
As many as you like! Your walk can be whatever you want it to be, small and intimate or a large group of friends, family and/or community members.
When walking in a big group it is really important to consider people’s fitness levels and any accessibility needs. It is also helpful to agree meeting points and share phone numbers in advance, in case you become separated.
What resources and support are available?
Complete the registration form, HERE and you can receive:
- Missing People t-shirts
- Dedication panels to pin on your clothing or rucksack where you can write your loved one’s name
- Missing People promotional posters, to advertise your walk in your social community and on social media
- Missing People appeal posters featuring your loved one to distribute along the route
- We can help you write a press release, contact local radio and TV*
- We have a really helpful information sheet all about working with media that you can download HERE.
- We will promote your Walk For on our social media channels (including Twitter, Instagram and the Missing People blog)
*It is also important to add that although our publicity team will do their best to get coverage of your walk, we cannot guarantee this. However, the communications team will be happy to tweet about your walk.
- As a small team, we, unfortunately, cannot send staff members on Walk For events
- We will be here to give you advice, support and encouragement every step of the way by phone and email
- The most important thing is your wellbeing and we are always here to listen and support you at every stage of journey
- Support you receive from the charity will always be free, confidential and never be dependent on your fundraising
Fundraising for your Walk For
An easy way to raise funds is by setting up a Just Giving page. This is really easy to do, just click the link, create your page by adding your story and a photo and share with all your friends. Funds will get paid directly to us! https://www.justgiving.com/missingpeople
If you intend collecting cash donations on the walk, you will need to contact the local council to obtain permission. https://www.gov.uk/street-collection-licence
It’s generally easier to ask for text donations if people ask during your walk (you can get a personalised “text donation” code from Justgiving )
I have offline donations, how can I pay them in?
- You can enter add any cash donations to your Justgiving total as an “offline” donation
- You can pay funds into our Barclays account. Let us know and we will send you a paying in slip